Thursday, July 17, 2008

Salsa & Agave Mexican Grill

At last! Something I thought I would never eat in Vancouver- decent Mexican food. So I should be up front about this. I thought Vancouver had bad Mexican before I ever lived in upstate New York (with great seasonal places catering to the farm workers) or California (which needs no explanation). You see, once upon a time I lived in Mexico. I made it my mission to taste a lot of food while there, and learn as much as I could about how to make it (something I don’t do often, as the ingredients can be hard to find here). I like fancy Mexican food just fine, but what I really love is well prepared ‘regular’ food. I’ll admit it, I am a Mexican food snob, especially when it comes to ‘street food’. There is nothing better than a great taco or torta from a cart with questionable provenance!

Chris had tried this place called Salsa and Agave (1223 Pacific Boulevard, no website to link to as yet) a little while ago with some friends who are also Mexican food snobs, and who have had no luck finding Mexican they like much here either. (To be fair, Chris is pretty choosy about Mexican food too. He’s had enough authentic Mexican food with me that he knows what's what.) All three gave it their approval, and I was looking forward to trying it. So when he suggested that we go there for dinner last night, I was apprehensive, but excited. (Too many places here do Mexican and Spanish together, which makes no sense, or do things like use Spanish and not Mexican chorizo, which have totally different flavors! So I was not holding out too much hope lest I be sadly disappointed yet again.)

We got there just before 8 (they close at 8:30), and got the only table available. We decided that we both wanted sopes, which come 3 to an order but without sides, so we also ordered a side of rice and a side of beans. Chris got carne asada, al pastor (which is pork in a sauce) and carnitas (a slow roasted pork of sorts). I ordered al pastor, carnitas, and chorizo. We also ordered a tamarindo jarrito (me) and an agua de Jamaica (Chris), a drink made from hibiscus I believe. The service was very friendly…and not so good. Made me feel just like I was in Mexico. We asked for water about 10 minutes after ordering, because although they brought us some chips and salsa right away, we had nothing to drink alongside them. At some point, we did ask for our drinks and the server was a little shocked to ‘be reminded’ that we had ordered any. (She went and checked the bill, and sure enough, there were 2 drinks on it.) The chips were not homemade (too thin, multi-colored), which was disappointing, (they’ve got to have plenty of leftover tortillas at the end of the night they could use for chips the next day), but the salsa was. Be warned, it was not the standard pico-de-gallo that is often served. It was a cooked salsa. Not cooked as in Pace-Picante-out-of-a-jar. Cooked as in, made from pureed roasted tomatoes that were very likely then cooked. It is very authentic, and something I hadn’t tasted (except at home when I occasionally make it) in years! We got our drinks just before the sopes came. Again, fresh made sopes would have been good, but these were likely purchased, either that, or made too far in advance. Nevermind, because what was on top was wonderful! They could easily have put half the meat on they did, they were so loaded, they were a little hard to eat. But tasty! My only complaint about the meats is that it’s too bad they have to use such lean pork for the carnitas. Pigs these days have so much less fat than they used to, and that means less flavor. (According to Harold McGee, 2004, North American and European pigs have half to 1/5 of the fat they did only 20 years ago!) But that is not the fault of the restaurant.

The rice and beans were fine. I prefer white rice to red, and black beans to pinto or red, probably because in the region where I lived, that’s what the folks ate. But I recognize that there is much regional variation in Mexican foods, and my preferences are just that, my preferences.

So to sum up, the food was terrific, and service was friendly (if horribly inefficient). Oh, and did I mention how reasonable the prices are! I can’t wait to go back.

4 happy thumbs!

No comments: