Monday, August 22, 2011

Golda's Cilantro Pesto

I first tried Golda's products at the Trout Lake Farmer's Market last summer, but then forgot about them, as the excitement and demands of a new job, new house, new neighborhood, and a toddler overwhelmed me. But a few weeks back, I spotted some in the cooler at Bosa Foods. I filed that information away for use at a later date. That date came last week. I wanted something summery and local, and settled on fresh tagliatelli with shrimp (from The Daily Catch) with some of Golda's Cilantro Pesto.

I love traditional basil pesto, and I love cilantro. This pesto doesn't taste like either, but it is delicious. It is richer and has more depth than basil pesto, probably a result of the use of pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts. And those of you who don't like cilantro need not be scared away; I don't taste much classic cilantro flavor in this paste. It is just a lovely vibrant green, rich, but not too rich, and pairs fabulously with shrimp. (I have also used it as a wet rub on roast chicken. Good, but not as good as with the shrimp I think.) We had bocconcini and tomato salad, and Sumac Ridge Gewurzt along with it. Both were great pairings with the pasta dish. It was hard to not eat 2 huge platefuls of the pasta, so it may not be a great idea for a dieter - not because it's unhealthy, but because it's hard to not keep eating and eating. It was a multi-generational hit too: my 2 year old kept asking for more and more and more.

Golda's products come from Vancouver Island, but are available in various stores around southern BC. Well worth seeking out.

No comments: